Barry Blanchard is the man! He is known world wide as the modern father of Canadian alpine mountaineering and hard ice climbs, and he is coming to the 2014 Mount Washington Valley Ice Fest! We couldn’t be more excited! He is a Patagonia, Black Diamond & Julbo athlete.
Over the past 30 years, Barry has specialized in technical winter ascents in the Canadian Rockies and in lightweight alpine expeditions in the world’s highest ranges. He is an internationally certified (UIAGM) mountain guide, and has worked as a climbing advisor and safety rigger on a number of Hollywood films. Not only is Barry one of the best climbers in the world, he is also a great raconteur and a very accomplished public speaker.
And we’re super excited to announce that Barry Blanchard is our featured guest presenter for FRIDAY evening at the Theater In The Wood event space!
7pm doors open, free beer from our friends at Tuckerman Brewery, silent auction to benefit the AAC’s Live Your Dream Grant, and a short opening show by Jeff Longcor. This is going to be a GREAT night! Only $10 to get in, and $5 for AAC members. FREE if you sign up to become an AAC member! Don’t miss seeing the modern father of Canadian alpine mountaineering!
Barry is also guiding on Saturday & Sunday!
You can climb with this legend, but sign up quick!
On Saturday Barry Blanchard is guiding: Intro To Steep Waterfall Ice
On Sunday Barry Blanchard is guiding: TBA! But it is going to be a special clinic for college kids! We want to get the young-ins to experience climbing with Barry! Stay tuned for those details!
Barry Blanchard Career Highlights:
- First ascent of Infinite Patience on the Emperor Face of Mt. Robson, Canada
- First ascent of Homage to Pat on the Southwest Face of the East Kahiltna Peak, Alaska
- Ascent of the Southeast Ridge of Mt. Asperity, Waddington Range, British Columbia
- Ascent of the North Face of Bravo Peak, Waddington Range, British Columbia
- Featured in the IMAX Extreme film Vertical Limit
- First ascent of the North Pillar of North Twin
- First ascent of the North Face of Les Droites
- Received the 2002 Summit of Excellence Award at the Banff Mountain Film and Book Festival
- Awarded honorary membership with The Alpine Club of Canada, 2012